Friday, August 01, 2008

Oh Mike, you so funny

Mike Holmgren has earned a lot of recognition in his many years as a football coach. But I bet nothing beats earning a running feature from me. So in honor of Mike Holmgren's final season as head coach of the Seattle Seahawks...

Seattle P-I's Clare Farnsworth:

Leonard Weaver. A year ago, the talented fullback was in the process of playing his way off the roster.

This morning, he was singing a different tune – literally. It was "Happy Days."
It was enough to earn Weaver a little mid-practice visit from Holmgren.

"I was back there singing a gospel song and he was like, 'Leonard, stop it. I don't want to feel good right now, I'm trying to be mean,' " Weaver said.

The edict elicited a round of laughter from the players standing near Weaver – and rookie running back Justin Forsett, who actually started the song that got Weaver going.

Explained Holmgren: "I go to church and I love to hear hymns. Out here, as I told him, 'I'm in a bad mood. I don't want to be in a good mood.' "