- Florida upsets Ohio State to win the BCS Championship Game.
- In what may have been the most overhyped story, David Beckham signs with the LA Galaxy for a supposed $250 million.
- Allen Iverson is traded to the Denver Nuggets.
- The Chargers hand a playoff game to the Patriots, then say that they will retain Marty as head coach before later firing him and replacing him with Norv Turner. We are still waiting to see how this plays out.
- 24 debuts its worst season by nuking Santa Clarita.
- The NBA All-Star Game in Las Vegas turns out to be a disaster.
- The most lucrative NFL free agency signing period kicks off, with most teams having tens of millions of dollars to throw at players under the new collective bargaining agreement and high salary cap.
- The Florida Gators defeat the Ohio State Buckeyes for the national championship...again. This time in basketball, of course.
- Looking back on the NFL Draft, the biggest move had nothing to do with any rookie as it was the Patriots trading a fourth round pick for Randy Moss in the steal of the century.
- The Golden State Warriors stun the Dallas Mavericks in the first round, as a number 8 seed upsets a number one seed in the NBA Playoffs for the first time in a seven game series.
- The Chicago Bulls sweep the Miami Heat in the first round.
- Portland and Seattle win the top two picks (Greg Oden and Kevin Durant) in the NBA Draft lottery.
- Steve Nash's bloody nose became the perfect image to represent an intense playoff series between the Suns and Spurs. In a later game, Robert Horry's hard foul on Nash caused Stoudemire and Diaw to run off the bench, resulting in costly suspensions that may have cost them the series and championship.
- Kobe Bryant goes on ESPN radio and demands a trade from the Lakers.
- LeBron James singlehandedly beats the Detroit Pistons in another stunning playoff series upset, bringing his Cavs to the NBA Finals.
- The San Antonio Spurs sweep the Cleveland Cavaliers in route to their fourth NBA championship.
- The Anaheim Ducks win the Stanley Cup. I live in Orange County, and no one seemed to really notice, let alone care.
- The NBA Draft is also highlighted by a couple of superstar trades, as the Boston Celtics acquire Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett in the same week.
- Tim Donaghy betting scandal.
- Michael Vick dogfighting scandal.
- Steroids in baseball scandal.
- Harry Potter lives!
- Barry Bonds sets the home run record with number 756
- Spygate: The Patriots are exposed and punished as cheaters as they begin to route opponents every week.
- The Boston Red Sox sweep the Colorado Rockies to win the World Series.
- Super Bowl 41.5: Patriots 41, Colts 31. The talk of the Pats going undefeated suddenly gets serious.
- The New England Patriots become the first to finish the NFL season 16-0.